Thursday, December 6, 2012

All I Want For Christmas is a Duke and Much Merry Making

Christmas is my favorite time of year. Yes, I'm a cliché. I adore the lights, the greens and reds, the sparkling ornaments, trees, the scent of pine and baking in the air, and if you're lucky snow! I received this love from my parents, both who had very hard Christmases as children. I think they wanted to ensure I was raised in the magic of the season rather than the disappointments. And so, every Christmas morning, the tree burst with presents. My mother would wrap ANYTHING. Seriously. If you stood still, she might have wrapped you.

I lost my father ten years ago and I can still remember that first Christmas without him. It was hard. Now, my mother has passed this year, and I will be facing a Christmas with other family members. Yet, my mother and father are with me in spirit. Not only that, as I wrote The Twelve Days of Seduction, my part of the anthology, my mom cheered me on! She absolutely loved that I was writing it and as I've gone through all the fun of bringing it to life, her spirit has always been there, encouraging me.

A Victorian Christmas was different than the Christmas we know now. Prince Albert brought the Christmas tree to us, thank goodness! But so much of the celebration surrounded food and merry making. They drank oodles of wine and Christmas punch. Father Christmas himself was not a present giver but the spirit of partying, really. It was sometime during the 1860s that he transferred into that gift giving gentleman. Before that, he was all about bringing on the wine, eating loads of food, and singing loudly.

The Victorians were still largely celebrating Christmas as a pagan sort of day. A day to beat back the darkness with bright lights, and vigorous cheer. For it would be a good few months before spring came, and this day was the best chance to have a good blow out of fun before the last days of dark.

My story focuses on a governess who scrambles up from the bottom of society and falls in love with the little girl she looks after. . . She also falls for the duke, her boss. Oh my! The Scandal! And because of this, my book was perfect for The Scandalous line at Entangled.

Delilah Marvelle and I both wanted to write stories about a duke and so this summer we decided we had to have our own cheery story to fight the dreary winter. I adore her story, Merry Christmas Mrs. Robinson! Its so fun and romantic. Both of us chose to write about women who deserved a good man, but had some serious social challenges getting them. But get them they do!

I adore the Victorian period with its social constraints, and smoldering emotions beneath and what better time to display them than at Christmas when everybody was letting their guards down a bit, playing games, drinking mulled wine, and eating their Christmas goose. I hope you fall in love right along with my characters and revel in the Christmas fun!

Now, if you could have anything besides a duke for Christmas, what would it be?

Post your answer and you will have your chance at wining one of two copies of All I Want for Christmas is a Duke or Forever a Lord, Delilah's deliciously sinful full length December release. WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED SUNDAY NIGHT!

Also, make sure you pop by Delilah's fan page today http://www.facebook.com/pages/Delilah-Marvelle/73234401876?ref=ts&fref=ts ! She's doing her own give away. Double the pressies. What could be better than that?

37 comments:

  1. I would love to have enough money to pay my bills up, so I don't have to stress over it anymore. :) And Since these books takes me away from that stress, more books is what I would like to have since I don't think I will get the money. :) Santa don't like to carry money! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! Wouldn't that be lovely? All bills canceled or pots of money? But I think you've got good sense. Books really do sweep us away, thank goodness. I don't know what I'd do with out them. :D

      PS. The Winners will be chosen Sunday night!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Can't I have a Duke for Christmas. ;) Actually I want a wifi keyboard for my iPad and a gift card to amazon and iTunes. I would want a day to myself. No one bothering. Especially, no kids. I know a Christmas wish.
    countessofmar(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Melody, I would absolutely love to be a Her Grace too! Wifi key board? Now that sounds awesome! I wold definitely want one of those if I had an iPad and do hope you get a day to yourself soon.

      P.S. The winners will be announced Sunday night!

      Delete
  3. If I can't have a Duke, I'll settle for an Earl.. or a viscount... I suppose i could go for a Sir as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, you madam, have very good sense. You'll hope on! I Love it. I say we all deserve a lord or
      at worst a sir! Thanks for stopping by.

      P.S. Winners will be decided Sunday night!

      Delete
  4. I'd love a Duke, a Prince, or a Highland Laird. Since that's highly unlikely, I'll settle for a cash gift. A few million should cover the jet-setting lifestyle I dream of living. ;)

    Thanks for the giveaway!

    jenalang(at)live(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooh. I want a laird!!!! I luuuuurve Scotland so much! Sigh. And I'd be okay with jet setting. :D

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. I would love to have my parents(mom passed 22 yrs ago Daddy 11 yr ago), but that's not possible. I would have to say enough money to fix my house up (since my daughter and granson have moved in) to make it more comfortable and efficient.

    Merry Christmas - Happy Holidays

    kcnrhtx (at) charter (dot) net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kimberly!! Major Hugs. Its so tough isn't it? I'd love to have my parents for Christmas. But they're there in spirit. A lovely, snug home sounds like a wonderful Christmas wish!

      Delete
  6. I would just love to have all of my friends in one place for the holidays. Some of them live in different states, some in other countries. So it would be great if we could all afford to be in the same city for one holiday!

    alexandreaward(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww. That's lovely! Lets all have a reunion. Food and happy and friends.

      Hugs!

      Delete
  7. Hmmm! bring on the Duke. He would support me in the life I was accustomed too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely like to be kept in the manner to which I'd like to be come accustomed!!!

      xxoo!

      Delete
  8. Hmmmmm... well... I would settle for christmas cookies without the calories or the effects of all the sugar... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nom nom nom nom. Sugar cookies are my have!!!!! Send me some!

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post. It's hard loosing your parents. We're down to one between my husband and me. If I can't have a duke, I'd like either a publishing contract or a paddle board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Wow, that's an interesting two choices. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that contract for you!

      Delete
  11. I would like to spend the holidays in Europe. Christmas in London and New Year's Eve in Paris or vice versa. I'd be happy just to get to Europe. I've never been there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooooh! Christmas in London is VERY pretty. Loads and Loads of street lights! I've love to go to Austria for Christmas someday, myself. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I could have ANYTHING for Christmas, it would be a good guy who would give me a day I'd never forget. I've been single for every Christmas and it would be nice to have that be...different for a change. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Romance at Christmas would be brilliant! For now, you could read my novella! But we'll send special word to Father Christmas. :D

      Delete
  14. And I would like to have my friends with me. I moved to Michigan from Oregon (Hi, Delilah!!!) in 2011 and all of my friends are still in Portland. It would be lovely to just spend time with people who GET me for a change. I love my family, but they don't get me.

    Oh and I'd love to be published too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Your list is awesome! I'm from the Portland area myself and miss it. And I am the odds art child in my family, so I totally understand. Hugs.

      Delete
  15. I need some of your Christmas cheer to rub off on me! I feel like by the time I get with it and get in the spirit, it'll be Dec 26th Lol. For Christmas I would like to have enough money to pay off all my bills. Delivered to me by a gorgeous man who is passionately in love with me. :) Meanwhile, back on this planet, I will be hoping for a new Kindle and lots of books.

    I'm sorry about your mom. Hugs! She's at Heaven's bookstore going 'hey, have you all read my daughter's new story? It's hot.' Lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL. Monica you made me laugh. Thank you! I do like your Christmas Scenario! I have a tendency to get Christmasy in stages, my present shopping and tree decorating doesn't usually happen until the 20th because I like to be a bit old school. But I LOVE the lights and decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm.....now a Duke for Christnas would be OK but really I want to spend Christmas with my mother and father. Havent seen dad in 6 years and mom in 6 months and havn't seen then round the holidays in 8 years. They live abroad and are trying to get citizenship and hopefully will get aporoved. That's what I want.

    Hmmmm tangible items though? Books. They are my escape. =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh! That's tough. I have recently gone through some immigration issues, so I totally feel your pain. Its so hard waiting and missing people for whatever reason! And books? You and me together. They are my place I go when the world gets awful!

      Hugs!!!

      Delete
  18. A trip to a country house with my duke and spend a full week alone :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Clearly you know how busy those dukes were! A full week alone, with my Alexander? You might not walk straight plus how lovely he'll treat you!? Best Christmas wish ever. I like your style. ;D

      Delete
  19. Jovon Tucker and Kimberly with the Kitty Avatar you've both won All I want for Christmas is a duke!!!! And Cerian Halford, you've won a copy of Forever A Lord!!!
    Contact me at Maireclaremont@gmail.com so I can get those to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Máire, I have just read the Dark Lady! I received an ARC through a friend who got it through work I believe and I loved it! I run a blog called Book2Buzz @book2buzz.blogspot.com and the review is there and on a couple other sites. I was hoping I could do an author interview with you if you would like. Is this possible? My email is mrsjtucker2012@hotmail.com. I have looked for an email to contact you but
    was unable to locate it.
    On another note. I hope your immigration issues clear up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. omg thank you sooooi much! im so excited!!

    ReplyDelete